Wednesday, March 25, 2015

It's Coming To An End - Week 4

           
I can't believe this is the final week. I feel like I've been decorating these cakes for years. I tried to keep this week pretty relaxed as I am presenting on Monday and will be focusing most of my time to the TED talk. I have about half of my script drafted and I am brainstorming some ideas for my last cake. I'm actually starting to get a little worried but hopefully I'll be alright.


            Coming up with a cake idea was actually a huge dilemma for me. Honestly there's so many upper-level cakes that I could probably tackle this week. The only problem is that I don't have an entire day to work on the cake. I have this issue where I like can't bake my cakes a week in advance. The cake also will tend to go bad in a top of 3 days so I end up making the actual cake 2 days before I bring it in, and decorate the day before. It's not the greatest system, as I have realized. Some of it has to do with my tendency to procrastinate (a lot). But thankfully I happened to find myself looking through the good ol' 7th grade birthday present. It was this amazing cook book made up of all of these crazy different designs. I've only done about 4 of them. I did a pigs in the blanket (you can see it on my first blog post), a peacock, something else (I forget) and the cake that I will be making for this week. I'll keep it a surprise to kind of keep you all in suspense. I can tell you one thing, it's going to be big and will require a box to carry. It'll be colorful too... or will it? Guess you'll have to take a bite!! ;)


            Now that I have the whole "which cake to choose" dilemma out of the way, I can focus on my TED talk. Once again, another thing that I can use Netflix to procrastinate on!!!. I know my speech is going to be well thought out though. I have had my end goal in thought since the second week of this project. My whole problem, although, is the part about getting to the end. I wrote my opening, and Toni told me it was really good. And if Toni tells you it's good, then it's really good. She has very high standards. So I just have to brainstorm the things I want to include in the rest of the talk and I think I'll be set. If I get too worked up about public speaking then my speeches don't go so well. That's why I'm trying to stay calm and also drafting my TED talk at the same time I'm baking the cakes. The baking thing has a really calming effect on me. Whether it's the smell or the time I have to take out of my day and sort of slow everything down, it's very hard for me to get stressed while baking. So I'm writing while I'm at my calmest state which will help to make my talk the best it can be.


            Well I really have to get back to work. Hopefully this dumb computer doesn’t glitch out on me when I try to upload and delete all my work again!! Let’s hope for the best. Not only for this computer, but for my TED talk as well. Farewell. All’s well that ends well.
(Almost) Professional Baker,
Jacob Kaffey
Comments:
Lizzy Cutler
Toni Mcfarland
David Weiss


1 comment:

  1. I think that overall I am more upset about your genius hour being finished than you are... I am SERIOUSLY going to miss the incredible cakes I have gotten to sample over the past couple weeks. But, the great taste of your cakes is not the only reason that I loved your project. I think it is really really awesome that you chose something you already really enjoyed doing. I remember meeting you this fall, and you telling me that you loved to decorate cakes. I also remember thinking that you were really awesome. You have done an incredible job, and I couldn't be prouder! ... Also I totally expect a birthday cake from you.

    ReplyDelete